Call for a Free consultation
(813) 405-1509

How to Change a Parenting Plan in Florida

how to change a parenting plan in floridaSharing parenting responsibilities of a child can be one of the most emotionally taxing situations for any parent. Often, parents find themselves in a position where they have to revisit and change an existing parenting plan.

Legal loopholes and complexities of the family law system can create further tensions. This is why it’s such a good idea to seek guidance from a family law attorney. They can help you make any changes to your existing arrangement.

If you are a parent residing in Florida looking to modify a parenting plan, what should you know about changing an existing arrangement?

Understand the Legal Procedure

Parents must respect the parenting plan. However, if circumstances such as job relocation, change in living conditions, or the child’s needs arise, parents can apply for a modification.

Once your attorney filed the petition and it’s served to both parents, a hearing date is set where both parties will present their facts to support or oppose the modification.

Paperwork and the legal process for making changes to your existing parenting plan can be a stressful experience. Geller Family Law can answer your questions and assist you with completing and filing any paperwork required in your situation.

Demonstrate Material Change in Circumstances

Florida law states that to modify a parenting plan, the parent requesting the modification must show a material change in circumstances that affect the child’s best interests.

“Material change” is a significant change in the circumstances since the last order that substantially impacts the child’s well-being. For example, if one parent is able to provide significant care for their child a modification could be requested.

Material changes must be significant before the court will grant a modification.

Determining whether or not you have a legitimate reason to modify your parenting plan can be challenging. Contact Geller Family Law to discuss your situation.

Consult with a Family Law Attorney

If you are unsure where to start or experiencing a complicated family law issue involving children, an attorney can help you navigate the process. Attorneys at Geller Family Law are familiar with the legal requirements. They have experience filing modifications and will guide you through the process.

And if your child’s other parent contests your modification petition, you’ll need a lawyer’s help to navigate the court process.

Modifying an existing parenting plan can cause a great deal of tension in divorced families. This is one of the reasons it’s a good idea to seek the support and guidance of a family law attorney. If you need to speak to someone about an existing arrangement or you have other questions about legal issues affecting your family, we can help. Contact Geller Family Law at (813) 405-1509.

  • Call (813) 405-1509 anytime, or use this contact form, for your free initial consultation.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Robert Marc GellerClients’ ChoiceAward 2017

Robert Marc GellerReviewsout of 32 reviews




Schedule a Consultation


  • Call (813) 405-1509 anytime, or use this contact form, for your free initial consultation.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.